Saturday, January 20, 2007

What about the Gyms

This week has been rather negative for us, because we lost the flat to another buyer; the reason… the developer and the solicitor didn’t do what they promised. All we needed to be able to get on with buying was to have the contract produced according to the discussions we had, unfortunately neither of them produced the contract as agreed, and another buyer who didn’t care as much about the contract, paid the reservation fee and gets the flat.

Petra faces a little uncertainty at work, because her boss is being forced to transfer to another role, or possible out of the company, so she doesn’t know what will happen for her.

My experience at the gym is interesting when making comparisons to everything I was used to in the UK, The gym I go to is reasonable well equipped but doesn’t have any of the most recent additions that are seen in UK like ‘Bosu boards’ and other training aids that do not require you to use the conventional equipment. The amusing part for me is the staffing structure, I haven’t yet seen a club that has it’s own instructors, they tend to have Personal Trainers, however, they are not anything like in the UK, the education level seems very poor and most of the ones I have seen are just ‘meatheads’ like we used to have, dragging their knuckles around the gym floor, they are nothing more than ‘counters’, by this I mean they stand next a client on a machine and count each rep they perform. Such a total waste of money. They gather around the reception desk eating bananas and drinking protein shakes all day, flexing at one another and grunting, whilst the receptionists eat bags of crisps! Yes, I have seen lots of eating at the reception desk, and using mobile phones around the gym, it strikes me as so unprofessional. Petra tells me that she has also seen a PT wearing flipflops on the gym floor! They do not seem to have a visible marketing plan or campaigns, and aren’t aware of retention strategies. I had a meeting with one of the PTs at my club to ask more about their working agreements and the companies views towards areas that were a key focus in the UK and I was alarmed at what I heard.

There is also a distinct lack of understanding of health and safety, I already mentioned the flipflops which I have also seen a member wear to the gym, but also glasses of drink are taken into the gym area and stood on the top of machines or around them, I have seen a notice board (like a flip chart) stood in front of the fire escape corridor, and no-one has to complete a par-q form, take an induction or have any supportive tuition to go to the gym. I have watched trainers teaching incorrect technique to clients. The sun-beds appear not to be regulated, as I have seen people using them without it being logged. I also must comment on the cleaning staff, as being British I am particularly uncomfortable with this, you’ll be standing in the shower (no private cubicles, only a communal shower) soaping up your privates and so on when the FEMALE cleaner strolls in and mops around your feet, the particular one I speak of is often heard grumbling about actually having to clean up behind members even though it’s what she is employed for and seems to take great pleasure in walking up the and down the changing room slamming the locker doors, it’s a right racket.

The other negative for me is that the club is aimed at the Czech market rather than the international market, so our receptionists don’t speak any English, a minor point really because I am meant to be speaking Czech but it would help.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home