Thursday, November 30, 2006

Kit Kats

3 finger kitkats! It’s outrageous! I am really struggling to find any decent chocolate here, there certainly isn’t a great deal of the UK brands. So far I have seen Mars, Snickers, Kit Kat (3 finger), Twix and Bounty. These are fine but didn’t really feature in my chocolate habit back in the UK, not regularly at least. I tended towards chocolate such as Twirl, Buttons, Galaxy bar and most definitely Maltesers. I think it’s not having the Maltesers here that hurts me the most. I did happen to find them in Austria a couple of weeks back, so grabbed a bag then albeit paying over the odds. (Because they belonged to some little kid and his Dad was less than happy) I’m not really sure why European chocolate doesn’t taste quite right, to my western tastes; I’m guessing either not enough milk or sugar in the chocolate.

No decent bread either, sure you can go into a supermarket and choose from 659 different varieties of roll (rohlik) but try and find one that doesn’t also double as supplies for the construction industry to build houses and you’ll be lucky. So far I have not been able to find a decent sliced loaf, you know like a Kingsmill or Sunblest. I have found a similar sliced loaf but this also appears to be prepacked stale bread with the texture to, and is most often used for toast.

Bringing me onto cheese, also I cannot find my favourite chunk of Mature Cheddar and have to settle for sliced Edam or Leerdammer and sometimes Gouda, all Dutch cheeses. Sure they are fine, but not really that wonderful flavour of Cheddar. Oh I miss it.

I have to search very carefully for my ham, because most of the packet ham here is infused with something or other, maybe garlic or herb or it’s smoked or soaked in beer, you know what I mean, and I really like mine fat free and au naturale. I must admit I have made a couple of mistakes with my choices, but they don’t really go to waste because Petra will eat almost anything.

On the upside, CAKES! Gorgeous, delicious, rich, sweet cakes, coming at you from all directions. When I fancy a little down time I can wander off to a café or similar and sit with a huge latte and wedge of luxurious cake (dort) what a way to spend an hour eh!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

yay, i found your blog :)

10:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home