Thursday, October 12, 2006

Foreigners Police AGAIN

I wouldn't want to repeat today in a hurry, one of those frustrating but necessary days. we were up at 6.45 am so that we could get an early start over at the Foreigners Police, I had everything I thought I needed ready. We jumped on the Metro at about 7.30 am and went to Pankrac stop, then we got onto a bus for what turned out to be an unnecessary one stop. We arrived at the FP at about 8.00 am or so and joined an already long queue. This we expected because of previous stories and research, The building was pretty crappy not the sort of place you want to spend much time, not even any seats to speak of to rest your legs whilst waiting. whilst standing gazing around I realised from looking at a couple of posters that we had completed the wrong forms, Petra didn't agree because the forms we had, were given to us by the other Foreign Police office in Prague 3 but I bullied her a bit and we could see by others in the queue and by the fact that the form we didn't have clearly had printed on the top 'To be completed by European Union Citizens' that part gave it away a bit to me. So Petra started again on completing the new form whilst I stayed in the queue to keep our place.

oh, one other point about the form, the other night when I was working on it as I got to the end I come upon the instructions for completing the papers, at this point it said quite clearly 'to be completed in Czech' not a great deal of help having instructions like these at the end rather than as the front sheet!

We stood for a total of 1.5 hours and it bloody felt like it. As I anticipated, one of our prepared forms got rejected, the form completed by the lady whose flat we are living in had to be signed in front of the staff at the FP. so we got sent away to either bring her with us to wait for a couple of hours or get her to complete the form again and then go to a solicitor and have it stamped and signed off as authentic. We were told we also had to go to the registration offices for property and get a document from them to show that the flat was actually owned by this lady.

We trundled back to Old Town and started the process of obtaining the bits we needed to go back. Firstly a trip to the lady, who helped us and came with us to a magistrates building on Narodni, here we paid 30 Kc (about 75p) to have the signature and document authenticated, then we jumped back on the Metro again and went to the end of the line C, Kobylisy. This is where we would find the building for property registration.

In the CR when you go to many businesses or companies you have to wait to be seen by way of number order on a ticket you take from a machine in the reception or main hall. We have had to do this 3 times now, here at the property registration building, at the insurance company and at the post office. We picked our ticket up and had 129, we looked around to see what number they were up to and it was 52!!!! So we had another long wait to look forward to, we settled ourselves down for a bit. just under a hour later we got to the desk and the lady printed the document that we needed for the princely sum of 100 Kc (about £2.50). When I saw the paper I could see that the flat was on there but it did not have any names to it. So I questioned this with Petra asking how this was proof that the lady owned the flat we were staying in? Petra tells me that the building is under co-operative ownership so the tenants become members but don't own it. So I start to say that we are back to square one because the papers won't be good enough for the FP, Petra disagrees and we make our way all the way back to Pankracs Metro station and back to the FP.

We were told this morning that when went returned to the FP just to take the papers straight to the desk and not wait in the queue, can you imagine the confusion this causes for everyone standing in the queues. Petra got verbally attacked when she went to the counter by a lady a few spaces back, but we didn't get too annoyed because we had seen this several times this morning because whilst we were in the queues it was happening to us to. Anyway, we gave the girl our papers and she rejected them again, as I had suspected, we now need the manager of the co-operative to sign the registration document to acknowledge that the lady whose flat we are staying in actually owns it (or at least is a member of the co-operative).

We left and caught the Metro back home, the time was now about 2.00pm and Petra had to get ready for another interview, this time with HSBC in Prague 1 behind where World Class is. As soon as she was dressed she shot off again and I caught up with my correspondence by email.

I sent an email to Nationwide my car insurance company, to cancel my policy. I included all the necessary information, Policy number, Car details, and name, address and DOB etc. They replied by telling me that they cannot accept an email to cancel the policy and that I have to call them to do it. I thought about it and wondered why, they would have no better proof that I am who I say I am from a telephone call, than they would over my email? So, I replied to this effect and told them that as I now reside in CR it was too expensive for me to call them and they could call me.

By about 5.30 we were ready for some exercise, so we took the bikes down the cycle path again from our flat in Chodov to the edge of Prague 1, Nove Mesto (new town) and took a right turn at Tancici Dum (Dancing Building) heading up to Vinohrady where I had seen a couple of flats for sale in the streets behind the National Museum. It gets dark pretty early now so by 7.00pm we were ready to come home. we grabbed the train at I P Pavlova Metro and headed home. By the way you can take a bike on the Metro, as long as you go the the last carriage and there is only meant to be 2 bikes on the carriage.

It was my turn to cook, so I cracked on with it as soon as we arrived home. mmmhhhh Pasta tonight with vegetables and funghi Omackou (mushroom sauce).

see you tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home