Sunday, August 06, 2006

I'm not the only one

i feel like a complete freak, however, this feeling is completely unfounded anywhere other than Czech! So, this evening i decide to have a little snack, as soon as i mention this my wife dutifully grabs the menu from the waitress and reads to me the desriptions (the menu is in Czech). I promptly decide and say "i'll have the chips with a roll and butter". Now, for all you reading this I'm guessing you haven't noticed anything unusual yet, well, you should have been sitting with me! At this point i am being looked at as if i have just asked for a dog shit cake. The 3 Czech faces staring at me are screwed up and incredulous. I say "whats wrong with that?" "thats not a normal combination" they say. "you are kidding me? it's practically a tradition in england to have a chip butty!" But quite clearly is not here.

my wife then calls the waitress and relays my order, again the incredulous look. so immediately without missing a beat my wife continues to explain in Czech "I know it is a strange combination, but he likes it! He will cut the bread, put the butter in, then add the chips." as if i am some special child who she has to placate with acceptace of my strange eating habits.

i felt humiliated and ridiculed as they all then fell about laughing and shrugging shoulders as the waitress went off to the kitchen with my order.

At least it tasted fantastic when i munched away. even if all eyes were on me as silence fell upon the maly hospoda (little pub) in a spa town in Czech!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home