Thursday, June 29, 2006

Mr Angry

Sorry for not having much to post in the last few days, however, this is partly due to me not wanting to continue to repeat myself on topics already posted, and some of these are taking up much of my time lately.

Today I will tell you about something that annoys me tremendously.  To help sell my house I took the steps of contacting my local council to request that trees bordering my house are cut back as they have grown too high and large and cause a bit of a nuisance.  They kind of hide my house a bit.  So, a guy at the council told me that the request was logged and the work would go ahead soon.

Two weeks later I had not seen any activity so I emailed him again and asked on progress, to which his reply was, “The trees that would be adjacent to your property would be something that the highways department at KCC now deals with, which can be contacted on 08**8 2***00. If however these trees are on an open space/park, then this would be something that we will deal with.”  
So what he was basically saying is, actually I did nothing about it last time hoping you would go away, as we don’t even deal with this issue, and actually you have to go elsewhere for help.  That’s two weeks wasted already, so, I went on to call the number and spoke to a lady who again ‘logged’ the issue and gave me a reference number if I wanted to follow up on it at any time.

3 weeks has passed by and the trees have got worse and no-one has been to cut them back, so yesterday I called the number again and gave my reference number (yes, I did keep it) and the guy tapped his computer and looked up the file.  This was his reply “ah yes, the guy who is dealing with this is away on holiday until the 17th July, so I doubt anything will happen until after then”.  I said, “you’re kidding me, that’s miles away, like 3 weeks”  he said “yes, I know, but no-one will be taking up his work whilst he is away”.

So, here’s my point, given that this particular County Council is a huge organisation and possibly one of the biggest in the country, I find it unacceptable that in a company of this size, the effectiveness of a department relies on one individual to operate, when this guy goes on holiday, the parks & grounds department puts up a ‘closed for lunch’ sign and the cogs stop turning.  The residents of the county have to suffer the shortfall.

They don’t even carry out the work with their own internally employed staff, it is passed out to a landscaping firm, so it’s literally a process of booking the work with them amongst the others that they do for the council.  The timescale so far is 6 weeks will pass before the guy comes back (incidentally I have no issue with a man wanting holiday, my issue is no-one will take his work whilst he is gone, imagine what he is coming back to!)  and then a further delay whilst this work is booked and completed.

As I said earlier, Unacceptable!

In Czech news today, I read another shocker.  Well it’s shocking to me, possibly not so for the Czech people.  In the political world the stalemate between the political parties has still not been resolved.  So, in his own words the current Prime Minister has offered his resignation to instigate a constructive move forward to establishing a new government, said to be a coalition between the ODS and 2 smaller parties the Greens and the Christian democrats.  Wow, the Prime Minister resigning!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home