Sunday, February 18, 2007

Brush with the Police

It's been a very busy week, I have been continuing to view flats, mainly in the Troja or Letna area of Prague. There is a street in Letna called Ovenecka which is a really nice place, it almost doesn't belong in Letna because I don't think any other quite matches it, it's a bit wider than most and at one end you are close to the Tram stop and supermarket and the other end has an entrance to Stromovka park. The street is also lined with trees and almost all it's buildings are reconstructed. Unfortunately, so far, the flats I have seen there are too small, but we have concluded that it would be a pretty good area to live. Also since my last post I have seen another flat in the big mill house at Troja, this one was 67m2 which is much better than the 52m2 ground floor flat that I had seen before. I would have preferred to have the one at 80m2 on the 4rd floor, however, it is already reserved. It had windows to the back of the building which was a negative as you could only see another building which was in need of repair, but the size and price were excellent. I am hoping that both of these will now be viewed again with Petra, so that we can decide if we are heading in the right direction.

I have started looking for come Czech language course full time, every day for a number of hours, so that I can begin to improve faster and learn better, I don't know why I haven't already done this because it makes so much more sense to be able to get on which the job hunting. So the plan is to study maybe 25-30 hours per week, of course this is quite expensive, but I feel that it will help me to find a better job, therefore help me to earn back whatever I spend out on the course.

I had a really good second interview on Tuesday evening, with the CEO of Holmes Place, it was an English guy who runs the licence for Holmes Place Israel and other European countries like Poland, Hungary, Austria, Germany. I came away from the interview feeling confident that in the near future, I will have a job offer which I hope will be for a new opening or something as exciting, hence my desire to secure this with better language skills.

Again this Friday I went for a swim to Podoli pool, I feel I must remark again on the temperature of the pool, bearing in mind that a skinny Brit like me who is used to a pool temperature of 29-30 degrees I find it really shocking to my system to swim in this pool which is always around 26.3-26.5 degrees, the difference may not seem a lot but I can assure you it is.

I have been riding my bike a fair bit lately to, which on some days has been great because of the sunshine but on other has been bloody cold and wet. One day this week though I had an incident with the police because I had apparently been riding my bike the wrong way in a one way street, they pulled me over to their parked van and started speaking to me, I told them straight away that I am English and speak only a very small amount of Czech, so he just carried on telling me stuff in Czech, I understood that he wanted to see my passport, which I did not have with me, this is a no no here, as you are expected to carry your ID or passport at all times, I tried to explain that it was at home along with my permanent residence permit, although I don't know why that would help as I had neither of them with me. He continued to speak at me and I couldn't understand what he was saying, but I gathered that he was saying things like, you must have your passport with you, and you cannot ride this direction in the street. He then got called back to the van with his colleague who appeared to be bored with our interlude and told him to send me on my way, but on the cycle path. He came back to tell me that next time I will have to pay, so I guess I got away without a fine or something.

This weekend Petra had a massage which I could have had to but I chickened out because I felt a little shy to have some woman I didn't know with her hands all over me! Petra came back and told me it was a nice young girl..... DOH! The good bit was, that she also found out that the girl works with a guy who is a physiotherapist so I can go to him and try and get my foot fixed as I am still having a lot of pain with it.

Today is another beautiful sunny day, so we will go for a bike ride and try to buy some Rollerblades over at Kobylisy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home