Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Cycle Track RE-HL

I decided it would be a good idea to have a look at another area of Prague that I have not yet explored. I opened my map and considered which route I might take, and settled on the cycle route RE-HL which I could pick up at the Vltava just before Podoli, so I set out on my usual track down to the river from my flat. Once I reached Podoli I picked up the new track which takes a route up over the river then drops down on the other side giving you a choice of going into Smichov (towards the town) or away from the town to Hlubocepy. The route I wanted to take was to Hlubocepy, which would finally take me on to Repy. The first interesting thing I found was what looks like a newish tram elevation so I paused here for a moment to watch the trams and grab a photo.

As I followed the road along I came into the Hlubocepy area which if you follow the road Hlubocepska it runs through a village which has some nice new flats fitting in pleasantly with the more aged buildings, continuing on you ride through the middle of a forest and some cliffs and rock formations, I was surprised how pretty this area is, the road follows the stream along and if you want to you can pause at the Small parks or benches along the way, maybe even take advantage of the old beer points which look like dilapidated sheds but provide a decent beer and sausage should it take your fancy.
After you leave the tranquility of the Forest the cycle path takes an unexpected turn and travels for a couple of kilometres through the panelaks, running around playgrounds, under the blocks, and across the many small roads/crossings that link the blocks. On the way you also see where the metro b line runs over ground through a tube elevated over a small park and pond, it's actually quite a site

Right in the middle of the Panelak you can find a small pond, which appears to be landscaped, with boulders and rocks around it. Stood in the middle of the pond is a naked woman statue which considering the surrounding blocks of flats etc looks quite out of place.
However, it is still attractive and gives you a moment to rest and ponder, and maybe even take your map out again and check your still on route! After leaving here you come into what appears to be quite an affluent area of Prague. I think it is the Repy area. You can see many Villa type houses, some still under construction, and because the land here is quite hilly they stack up above and below you as you wind your way through on the cycle track. I took a moment here to admire some of the architecture of the houses. In a way all of them are completely unique as you don't see any 2 alike. I also saw a large pond in one of the gardens with a huge dead carp floating on the surface, although I didn't think you needed to see a photo of that and have spared you.

From this part you have to cross over a main road carrying trams and head up to what I think must be the highest part of Prague, once I had reached the top I could mostly see 360 degrees around the city of Prague, here also there were more villa houses and I think it was the back side of reaching the Brevnov area which had I continued further I could have reached. But I got a call from my wife that I had to come home to go to an appointment for viewing a flat.

Before I left for my return journey I paused for a moment to take a picture of this bike track that I found, I really wanted to have a go myself but didn't want to embarrass myself in front of a couple of kids that were playing there, so in my mind I leapt off the jumps and spun around the berms to the finish line. You can also see in the back ground a part of the view I just mentioned and this follows right around the left side of the photo to the direction of the centre to my right it is few villas. I traced my way back the way I had come and grabbed a couple of apples from a wild tree growing just off the roadside, they were not really ripe yet but I needed to eat something so I had them anyway.

So lastly is a map of my route, I use a GPS training monitor to track my rides and training, then overlay it on a Google Earth Map which still amazes me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home