Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Stag-Do's and Don'ts

I wouldn't normally admit to showing any interest in the stories fed to us for digestion by the Sun newspaper, there was a time maybe, but now I prefer my 'news' updates to come from other sources, uhem!

However, on this occasion I want to share a story that gave me a little chuckle, not because of the nuisance lost passports cause, but just because of the thought of how much fun an 'away' stag-do can be. It made me think about what we will do to mark the passing of single life before my brother gets married in November this year. (I don’t believe we have finalised the details yet D!) I can also reflect on the time, many years ago, when I took part in a stag weekend to Amsterdam, it seems so long ago I cannot even remember whose stag celebration it was. I am still disappointed to this day that I never actually set foot on foreign soil (Amsterdam) as I had gotten so completely orbital on the night crossing that I fell asleep in a drunken haze in the cabin and only woke up when the ship had left port on the home-ward leg from Amsterdam. When I noticed my porthole gaping wide open it pointed towards some fishy business and I feared the worst. And so I spent the return journey feeling very sorry for myself listening to the stories of antics shared by the others in the Party who had wandered the streets of the fair country we’d headed to.

The Sun tells us that a staggering 15 % of lost passports in Czech Republic are reported by individuals on Stag-do’s. Not really ‘staggering’ though is it when you consider the condition a lot of the individuals probably spend the allocated stag period in! I can vouch for this personally, I haven’t been on a stag-do myself in Czech but on many occasions during my visits to this beautiful country I have witnessed the amusing, and occasionally worrying behaviour of the many parties as they wobble about the old town singing and peeing in their mates bottle of lager when he isn't looking. Then screaming with laughter as he takes a swig and looks slightly bewildered sucking his tongue at the small but noticeable tang, then shrugs as he gulps the remainder, his brain not yet catching up on the possibilities. (I had better stick this bit in quick, before I get too far. “the content of this article are completely the opinions and views of the author and do not represent in any way the thoughts, feelings, comments, or other, of any third party, even second party, actually any other party whatsoever”).

One of our MPs said this –“MP Ian Davidson slammed the irresponsible behaviour of "drunk and half-wit" British nationals on Eastern European stag-dos. He said: "A combination of drink and stupidity can be lethal to British passports.” I guess this guy has never made a single drunken mistake? He also said “people on stag weekends need to take care of their passports”, obviously on his way to being a rocket scientist!

It’s estimated that 70% of stag parties take place abroad with Prague and Bratislava being the top destinations. The final comment here amuses me most, “In stark contrast the foreign office reported –it is very rare to see a 'Hen' in trouble” lol yeah right, we've all seen them screaming at the top of their voices when performing their rendition of 'I will Survive' as if they are live on Stars In Their Eyes or auditioning to fill Gerrys place in the Spice girls!!! Blissfully unaware they sound more like a squeeky wheel on a bike. Read also the article in the sidebar once you have followed the link to the Sun article, if you’re a bloke you’ll smile.
Link

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home